Carters Rentals

Property to Let in Milton Keynes

Making the decision to rent

As the leading Letting Agents in Milton Keynes we find properties for all kinds of tenants; from those making their first home to retiring people who have sold their own property and decided that renting is more appropriate to their needs. Whatever your personal situation rest assured that we have the experience to help you find your perfect home.

Remember you will need to be over the age of 18 to enter into a tenancy agreement.

Our fees


As well as paying rent, you may also be required to make the following permitted payments.

Permitted payments

Before the tenancy starts

  • Holding deposit: 1 weeks rent
  • Deposit: 5 weeks rent

During the tenancy

  • Payment of up to £50.00 including vat if you want to change the tenancy.
  • Payment of the reasonable incurred  costs for the loss of keys/security devices.
  • Payment of any unpaid rent or other reasonable costs associated with your early termination of the tenancy.

The Tenancy Agreement

Normally your tenancy will be for a minimum fixed term of 6 or 12 months. Longer periods can be negotiated with the Landlord. The tenancy will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy under the 1988 Housing Act although other forms of tenancy can be arranged under certain circumstances.

Security deposit

A security deposit equivalent to 5 weeks rent is payable in advance. The deposit is refundable at the end of the tenancy subject to the property being vacated in an acceptable condition.

Tenant Deposit Scheme

Many tenants in the private sector give their landlords a deposit against possible non-payment of rent or damage to property. When a tenancy comes to an end, there is usually no disagreement about the return of the deposit. But sometimes there is, and this can cause much hardship and inconvenience to both landlord and tenant.

The Housing Act 2004 made provision for both the protection of tenancy deposits and the resolution of disputes over their return. The Dispute Service has been awarded a contract by the Government to run one such scheme: The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS).

The legislation came into effect on 6 April 2007. After that date all deposits taken for Assured Shorthold Tenancies should have been covered by a tenancy deposit protection scheme.

Paying the rent

All rents are payable monthly, in advance and are collected by standing order.

What references will be needed?

On applying for a tenancy application forms will need to be completed. All information is treated confidentially and an independent credit reference agency will undertake credit scoring. We will also verify employment, earnings and seek a reference from a previous Landlord or alternatively a character reference. If you are self employed we will contact your accountant.

Moving into your new home

The day has arrived. Providing all necessary references have been obtained and cleared funds for the rent and deposit have been received you will be able to take possession of your new home. The Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement will be signed by the tenant(s) and us on behalf of the Landlord at our offices. We will take you through all the necessary issues including your responsibilities, utilities and repairs & maintenance as well as explaining the tenancy agreement itself. Once signed we will hand over the keys and wish you well in your new home.

Insuring your belongings

The tenant is responsible for the safekeeping of the Landlords contents and fixtures and fittings as well as their own. Your Landlord's own insurance won't cover you if you accidentally damage their property and it definitely won't cover you if your own belongings are damaged or stolen from your home. You will need sufficient means in place to cover accidental damage to Landlords fixtures and fittings. For information about a product available from Homelet which could provide this cover, please click the on the Homelet logo  Please note that you are not obliged to purchase insurance for this.

Tenant Protection

Carters Rentals is a member of the Safeagent Client Money Protection Scheme, and also a member of The Property Ombudsman Scheme. You can find more details by clicking on the relevant logos.